Mars Hill Discussion Board

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mars Hill Discussion Board

Discussion board for Mars Hill study group.

Was Jesus a Levite?

BeckyShipp

Was Jesus a Levite? Empty Was Jesus a Levite?

Post  BeckyShipp Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:59 pm

Did Jesus have any Levites in His lineage or is there another explanation for Jer 33:17-21, when it says that "the Levites would never lack a man..."? Seems to me that the passage is referring to Jesus as the descendent of David AND the Levitical priest. In Heb 6:20 it says that Jesus is a priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek, which seems to me to back up the idea of Jesus being the priest that's referred to in Jer.
    BeckyShipp

Was Jesus a Levite? Empty Re: Was Jesus a Levite?

Post  BeckyShipp Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:24 am

I found this online, which may help answer my question:

According to Matthew's genealogy there were three Davidic Kings in the linage of Jesus Christ who had Levite mothers. They are as follows: (1) Abijah whose mother was Michaiah the daughter of the Levite Uriel - 2 Chronicles 13:1-2, (2) Jatham whose mother was Jerushah the daughter of the Levite Zadok - 2 Chronicles 27:1, and (3) Hezekiah whose mother was Abijah the daughter of the Levite Zechariah - 2 Chronicles 29:1.

I only looked at the first one of these, but he checks out. So, with Levites in His lineage, I think we could say that Jesus is not only from the line of Judah, but also a Levite.

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 4:04 am