Mars Hill Discussion Board

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mars Hill Discussion Board

Discussion board for Mars Hill study group.

Time,Times,and Half a Time

Poll

Who is the 11th king in Daniel 7

[ 1 ]
    Time,Times,and Half a Time Bar_left100%Time,Times,and Half a Time Bar_right [100%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Time,Times,and Half a Time Bar_left0%Time,Times,and Half a Time Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]

Total Votes: 1
    Poll closed
    JustinShipp
    JustinShipp

Time,Times,and Half a Time Empty Time,Times,and Half a Time

Post  JustinShipp Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:29 pm

I was hoping to start with, we could look at a subject that is related to our sunday night topic of Daniel 7s the 11th king. In Daniel 7:25 the saints will be given into the hand of the 11th king for "a time, times and half a time". I thought maybe if we knew what that means it might help us to understand who the 11th king is. If you guys are ok with this topic, I'll give you the verses that I know of for this.

Time, Times and half a Time:
    Daniel 7:25
    Daniel 12:7
    Revelation 12:13-17

42 months:
    Revelation 11:1-2
    Revelation 13:5

1260 Days:
    Revelation 11:3
    Revelation 12:6

1290 Days:
    Daniel 12:11

3 and a half days:
    Revelation 11:9-12

I don't know if all of these are relevant to understanding the time, times and half a time, but I wanted to offer it just in case.
    JustinShipp
    JustinShipp

Time,Times,and Half a Time Empty The first part of my answer.

Post  JustinShipp Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:11 pm

First of all let me just say that this is a discussion, and it's good for us to look at the information given from different perspectives. We should think of this as a brain storming session. It's ok if you don't get it exactly right on the first try because even something that gets said in error may help someone else get on the right train of thought, and figure out the right answer. With that being said I'll be the first to give my vantage point in the hopes that someone else can figure out the correct answer by looking at my misconceptions Smile

I see all of these phrases as descriptions of 3 possible time periods:

1. The last days of the Jewish age (A time frame spanning from either the end of the Greek empire / beginning of the Roman empire to AD 70) Or (The time period spanning from the beginning of Jesus' ministry to AD 70 when Jerusalem and the temple was destroyed)

2. The approximate 3 and 1/2 year persecution of the church by the hand of Nero in 64-68 AD.

3. The approximate 3 and 1/2 year siege of Jerusalem that spanned from 67-70 by the hand of Vespasian and his son Titus.

Daniel 7:25 - The saints were given into the hands of the 11th king to be worn down by him for a time, times, and half a time. He was a physical king but I think it is implied that he was doing this in accord with the will of Satan. Keep reading I'll explain.

Daniel 12:7 - At the end of the time, times and half a time the power of the holy people (the Jews) would be destroyed. At that point all of the events talked about in the vision would be completed. So the ending of the time period would be seemingly at 70 AD with Jerusalem being destroyed.

Revelation 12: 13-17 - Given the context of the chapter after Jesus is born and ascends into heaven Satan was cast down. At that point he goes after the Jews but they were preserved for the time, times and half a time. So Satan decided to go after the church and persecute it.

If that is the case then to summarize these three verses about the time, times and half a time would be the time frame from Jesus' ascension to 67 AD (in which the church was persecuted by Satan possible by his sons the Jews (John 8:44)). At that point the Jews would no longer be protected and they could then be destroyed by Satan / the roman army under the command of Vespasian (the possible 11th king) and his son Titus. This all ties in well with Revelation chapter 17 I think.

Last edited by JustinShipp on Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
    JustinShipp
    JustinShipp

Time,Times,and Half a Time Empty The second part of my answer.

Post  JustinShipp Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:26 pm

42 Months

Revelation 11:1-2 - It seems to be talking about the Romans destroying Jerusalem in the 3 1/2 year siege it also seems to be referencing Luke 21:24 which would support this interpretations since Luke 21 is about the destruction of Jerusalem.

Revelation 13:5 - This one on the other hand seems to be referring to the persecution of the church by Nero in 64-68 AD. Nero fits this description I think. He persecuted the church. He would also be carrying out the will of Satan if he was persecuting Christians. Statues of Nero were found in Ephesus with the inscription on it reading "Almighty God" and "Savior". Let's not forget that the Revelation 13:18 gives the number of the man's name. It was 666 or 616. The neat thing is that both numbers add up to Emperor Nero. So I think Nero fits pretty well here.

So I guess I don't necessarily think that the 42 months is referencing the same length of time that the time, times, and half a time was, but it does seem to be within that time period.

1260 Days

Revelation 11:3 - The two witnesses prophecy for 1260 days before they are killed. These are probably representing the apostles/disciples that spread the gospel and prophesied about the events of the first century. These would be the ones that died during the tribulation/persecution of the church that we read about in Matthew 24. But I think it ties in well with the time, times and half time because these people would have been doing this from the time the church began up until the point of death probably during 64-68AD.

Revelation 12:6 - This also goes along well with what I said earlier about Revelation 12:13-17. The Jews were spared/preserved for a time while the church was persecuted. At the end of the church persecution the Jews would then be destroyed by Satan/Vespasian and Titus in 67-70 AD. See also Revelation chapter 17.

So the 1260 days seems to fit well with the verses about the time, times and half a time.

3 1/2 days

Revelation 11: 9-12 - This seems to fit better with the 42 month / approximate 3 1/2 year siege on Jerusalem that came about at the end of the last days of the Jewish age. Following the death of the 2 witnesses during the tribulation/persecution mentioned in Matthew 24 the world (probably the Jews specifically) would rejoice at their death. Their rejoicing seemed to be short lived because immediately following that they were afraid of the wrath of God. In the next few verses, 13-15, it mentions a tenth of the city falling (which could be referencing Jerusalem being destroyed). It also mentions the 7th trumpet sounding, which takes us back to Revelation 10:5-7. That is a reference to Daniel 12:5-7, which should let us know that we are on the right track because Daniel 12:7 says at the end of the time, times, and half a time the power of the holy people will be shattered. Then in Revelation 11:15 the kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of His Christ. That brings us right back to Daniel 7:13-14,22, and 27. In the days of the 11th king all of those verses about the kingdom should come about which is another reason why I currently think Vespasian is the 11th king.

1290 Days

As for the 1290 days mentioned in Daniel 12:11 I really don't know exactly how it fits in. I guess I have a few ideas about it but I don't even think they are good enough to mention.

Sponsored content

Time,Times,and Half a Time Empty Re: Time,Times,and Half a Time

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 6:41 am