Mars Hill Discussion Board

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mars Hill Discussion Board

Discussion board for Mars Hill study group.

4 posters

James 5:20

BeckyShipp

James 5:20 Empty James 5:20

Post  BeckyShipp Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:45 pm

I know we've discussed this before in class, but I still have questions about this verse. When it says "will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins" who is it talking about? Whose soul will be saved from death and whose sins will be covered? I have the opinion that both are talking about the sinner, not the one who turns the sinner from his ways. Here's my logic: if I get you to stop sinning, you won't be dead spiritually and you won't sin anymore, thus your sins are 'covered'. But my soul is already saved and no 'work' I do can cover my sins. I know I'm not explaining this very well...
    I have heard other opinions about who this verse is talking abut, and would like to hear your opinions and reasonings.
    sherryshipplatimer

James 5:20 Empty Re: James 5:20

Post  sherryshipplatimer Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:12 pm

I agree that it is talking about the sinner. you have helped save his soul, but I also think we have to spend our lives looking for, helping and guiding lost souls to Christ. I don't think we can live our life only looking out for our own soul. Just my opinion.
    JustinShipp
    JustinShipp

Post  JustinShipp Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:12 pm

It seems redundant to me to say "will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins" if it is only referring to the sinner. That's like saying I'm a saved, born again Christian. The phrase doesn't make sense because its repeatative. It seems odd to me that James being inspired by the Holy Spirit would pen something that was redundant and not needed. Because of that I have always leaned towards it meaning that the sinners soul will be saved from death and the good work that you did for your brother will cover a multitude of your own sins. Yes I realize that we are saved by grace through faith and that no amount of works can earn our way into heaven. It is a gift of God that we arent worthy to recive and no amount of good deeds will make us worthy of it. But James does spend some time in chapter 2: 14-26 explaining the relationship between faith and works. He says faith without works is dead, and that we demonstrate our faith by our works. Abraham was justified by works in his willingness to sacrifice his son (a work) and because of this it was reckoned to him as righteousness. It's not enough for us to look at our brother living a sinful lifestyle and say to him "good luck with that, I hope you get back on the right track someday" We have to demonstrate our faith by working hard to save our brother. James might being trying to tell us that if we are living the way that we should in demonstrating our faith through our works, we will be able to save our brother and help ourselves out as well.

Just something to chew on Smile I really don't know what James is trying to say for sure in that verse
    BeckyShipp

Post  BeckyShipp Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:16 pm

Justin, would you agree that the book of Revelation is the same story told twice? I would argue that that is repetitive.

So, your first argument is void Smile

I still think I'm right Smile you haven't convinced me yet
    JustinShipp
    JustinShipp

Post  JustinShipp Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:57 pm

Wow, if you weren't my wife I don't think I would like you very much Smile Excellent point. Revelation is a repeat story so I quess i will withdraw my "redundant" argument. But I'm sticking with the other stuff I said, at least until you can convince me otherwise Smile

Anyone else want to pick apart my arguments. Apparently it's not very hard to do.
    BeckyShipp

Post  BeckyShipp Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:16 pm

You're funny, Justin Smile I'll work on getting some scriptures together to back up my opinion. Mostly what I'm going off of is grammar rules, and I know that won't mean anything to you Smile
    JustinShipp
    JustinShipp

Post  JustinShipp Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:49 pm

You're right it won't because I can't spell and I have horible grammer Smile
    curtisray
    curtisray

Post  curtisray Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:36 pm

hebrews 10.17, God doesn't remember our sins once we become his children, therefore (OPINION) i don't think there's a need to 'cover a multitude of sins' in our own lives. you just restored the person who needed their sins 're-covered'.
    BeckyShipp

Post  BeckyShipp Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:58 pm

That's a good point, Curtis

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 6:18 am