Mars Hill Discussion Board

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mars Hill Discussion Board

Discussion board for Mars Hill study group.

3 posters

Romans 15 and Instrumental music

vriley

Romans 15 and Instrumental music Empty Romans 15 and Instrumental music

Post  vriley Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:59 pm

In a recent Monday night bible study the topic was instrumental music. The discussion looked at this within the church rather than denominations. The example that was given was if someone within the church decided it was okay to clap during the worship service. The argument was made that instead of drawing a hard line and causing a split in the church it would be better to use Romans 15. The argument went that if those who believed that clapping in the worship service was a sin and voiced that to those who promoted clapping, the issue would be resolved due to Romans 15. Many in class saw this has being considered the weak brethren or not standing firm. Thoughts?
    JustinShipp
    JustinShipp

Romans 15 and Instrumental music Empty Re: Romans 15 and Instrumental music

Post  JustinShipp Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:43 pm

When you are dealing with good, God fearing, christians that love God, the church, and always try their best to be led by nothing other than the inspired word of God this doesn't pose a problem at all. Unfortunatly, even though all Christians are supposed to be like that they are not. So it seems to me the best approach wouldn't be to avoid the conflict by reverting to Romans 14 and 15. We should first try to explain God's word to them, showing them the relevant passages of scripture. We should try to appeal to them scripturally and then logically. There are very few times in the bible that i can think of when we have options (1 cor. 7 Paul says if you take a wife you do good but if you remain as I am you do better). Most of the time something is just right or wrong. God wants it to be a certain way or He doesn't. So we either need to all be using instruments/claping in worship because that's the way God wants it. Or we shouldn't be doing those things because thats how God wants it. We have no indication in scripture that it is optional.

So then if you can't convince them with scripture or logic that it's wrong then you can use Romans 14 and 15 as the fall back plan to preserve the unity of the church. I get so tired of being labeled the "weaker brother" because I'm conservative. Really that would be the role you would have to take on to convince your brother not to worship in this way. However, it seems to me that in some cases the person taking on the role as weak is really the more mature person attempting to preserve unity in the church and preventing their brother from sinning. It requires you to humble yourself and allow yourself to look weak in order to keep your brother and the church strong. By doing this you will set a good example for your brother. It will also allow them to take on the role of the strong bother (even though they really aren't). By doing this they will have to deny themself of something that they want which is a demonstration of love towards the "weak" brother. Developing love for one another is very important in gaining spiritual maturity and unity.

So then no matter which role you are taking on the church remains unified and the church grows stronger spiritually. But I have to say that I really feel that Romans 14 and 15 is a last resort when it comes to doctrinal disagreements.

I know i didn't use much scripture for this. This is just my opinion.
    vriley

Romans 15 and Instrumental music Empty Response to Romans 15 discussion

Post  vriley Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:18 am

Thanks. That helps clarify things for me. Several in the discussion took offense to being the weaker brother or thought it made them feel like they were giving in.
    BeckyShipp

Post  BeckyShipp Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:07 pm

I agree with Justin. If you can't get them to agree that instruments are wrong, then you can pull the Romans 15 card. If you really think its wrong to use instruments, then you shouldn't have a problem with allowing them to think that you are the 'weaker' brother, if allowing them to do so stops an argument and keeps instruments out of the worship service.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 4:41 am